Google Analytics Tacking Code

Monday, October 04, 2010

Nixon: Up in Smoke (Gimme Some Truth)


I've had this flyer (printed on the cheapest of cheap newsprint–how it survived 37 years is a miracle) since June, 1973 when a scruffy looking Yippie-dude handed it to me while walking towards the gates of the Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. I was attending my very first rock concert–Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon Tour. I was 16.

The concert was nothing short of life-altering.

The Smoke-In? It seemed a bit risky to me (my friends and I were convinced Nixon had spies everywhere–especially in his backyard!) –but one year later, under the threat of Impeachment, tricky-dicky did indeed resign the presidency.... coincidence?

No short-haired, yellow-bellied, son of tricky dicky
Is gonna mother hubbard soft soap me

With just a pocketful of soap

It’s money for dope...

– Gimme Some Truth, John Lennon

No comments: